Barnard Castle, a market town in County Durham, has suddenly found itself in the limelight, thanks to Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s special adviser, Dominic Cummings, driving there from his parents’ home, in breach of his own COVID19 lockdown rules. I thought I’d record a bonus episode to tell those who may not be familiar with the area why it’s worth a visit. As soon as it’s safe to do so.
What You’ll Hear
- 1:50: The beginnings of the castle
- 2:50: John Balliol, King of the Scots
- 3:20: The castle changes hands
- 4:03: King Richard takes ownership
- 4:32: The town of Barnard Castle
Prefer to read instead? Click here for a transcript – no email required!
This episode was inspired by current events in the UK. In it, I mention the following: